[rabbitmq-discuss] Cluster not running - getting Error: {cannot_discover_cluster, "The nodes provided are either offline or not running" error

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Mon Mar 4 11:11:29 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 28 Feb 2013, at 15:40, shankaralingegowda Singonahalli Chikkarevanna wrote:
> and I have enabled ssh entry for both master and slave
> slave can access master using ssh master

Enabling ssh has nothing to do with clustering, so I'm not sure why that's relevant. Are you trying to provide connectivity using ssh tunnels or something?

> after that I stopped rabbitmq slave machine
> and run join cluster command like join_cluster rabbitmq at master    ---{here rabbitmq is master setup user name and I{p)
>
> but getting
> Error: {cannot_discover_cluster,"The nodes provided are either offline or not running"
> error

This error means that Erlang cannot connect to the rabbitmq at master node. The individual nodes need to be able to contact one another over TCP/IP using port 4369 and both hosts need to be able to resolve the other's hostname via dns. You should be able to `ping master` from slave and vice versa. If you can ping from one machine to another, you should also be able to telnet to the epmd port (4369) successfully.

> please help me to resolve the issue

Please confirm that TCP/IP connectivity between the two machines works over port 4369. If this *does* work then please confirm that both machines have been configured with the same erlang cookie. If you've followed the transcript at http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html and are still unable to get join_cluster working then let me know and I'll try to assist you further.

Cheers,
Tim