[rabbitmq-discuss] Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at localhost: nodedown

Travis Jensen travis.jensen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 17:51:30 BST 2013

So I had rabbitmq working fine on my laptop, then had to reboot somewhere
else where my hostname wouldn't resolve and it failed to start. As annoying
as that was, I figured I would just wait until I got back to my DNS and
then restart it.  Wrong.

So, after searching and futzing for an hour, I decided I needed to upgrade
anyway, so I uninstalled 3.0.4, cleaned up all the old configuration files,
db directories and such, and installed 3.1.0 (note: Using OS X 10.7.5,
Erlang R15B03 and Homebrew).

Now, I continue to see the same behavior:

$ rabbitmqctl add_user test test_pass
Creating user "test" ...
Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at localhost: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

nodes in question: [rabbit at localhost]

hosts, their running nodes and ports:
- localhost: []

current node details:
- node name: nonode at nohost
- home dir: /Users/travis
- cookie hash: 92vmrXD/iLl+OKWxh4sEhQ==

This is how things looked on startup:

$ rabbitmq-server

              RabbitMQ 3.1.0. Copyright (C) 2007-2013 VMware, Inc.
  ##  ##      Licensed under the MPL.  See http://www.rabbitmq.com/
  ##  ##
  ##########  Logs: /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at localhost.log
  ######  ##        /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at localhost-sasl.log
  ##########
              Starting broker... completed with 7 plugins.

And the logs seem pretty nominal. Note that the *rabbitmqctl* connection
never shows up, but I can telnet in to port 5672 and see a failed
connection show up. Unsurprisingly, the issue seems to revolve around the *node:
nonode at nohost* that I've highlighted in the logs below.  This behavior
persists even if I explicitly set *RABBITMQ_NODENAME=rabbit at localhost* when
I run rabbitmq-server.

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:02 ===
Starting RabbitMQ 3.1.0 on Erlang R15B03
Copyright (C) 2007-2013 VMware, Inc.
Licensed under the MPL.  See http://www.rabbitmq.com/

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:02 ===
*node           : nonode at nohost*
log            : /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at localhost.log
sasl log       : /usr/local/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at localhost-sasl.log
database dir   : /usr/local/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at localhost

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Limiting to approx 156 file handles (138 sockets)

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Memory limit set to 1439MB of 3597MB total.

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Disk free limit set to 1000MB

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
msg_store_transient: using rabbit_msg_store_ets_index to provide index

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
msg_store_persistent: using rabbit_msg_store_ets_index to provide index

=WARNING REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
msg_store_persistent: rebuilding indices from scratch

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Adding vhost '/'

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Creating user 'guest'

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Setting user tags for user 'guest' to [administrator]

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Setting permissions for 'guest' in '/' to '.*', '.*', '.*'

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
started TCP Listener on 127.0.0.1:5672

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Management plugin started. Port: 15672

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Statistics database started.

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jun-2013::10:32:03 ===
Server startup complete; 7 plugins started.
 * amqp_client
 * mochiweb
 * rabbitmq_management
 * rabbitmq_management_agent
 * rabbitmq_management_visualiser
 * rabbitmq_web_dispatch
 * webmachine

My rabbitmq-env.conf file is pretty simple (the Homebrew default, in fact):

CONFIG_FILE=/usr/local/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq
NODE_IP_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1
NODENAME=rabbit at localhost

And, after going through my previous rabbitmq.config file to remove
everything that either was a default or no longer existed as a
configuration option, my configuration file looks like:

[].

Just to make sure I don't have any weird environment variables I didn't
remember persisting, I ran a *set | grep -i rabbit* and got an empty set.
I also removed *~/.erlang.cookie*, to make sure it wasn't messing things up.

So I've reached the end of what Google and the docs have been able to tell
me. Help is most graciously appreciated.

tj