[rabbitmq-discuss] Error:{cannot_discover_cluster, "the nodes provided are either offline or not running"}

Luis Rodriguez lrodriguez1995 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 26 19:14:24 BST 2013

Hi all,
I am a newbie having network connection issues while trying to setup rabbitmq in cluster mode
my setup is 3 centos vm's with rabbitmq-server-3.0.3 and erlang installed on them (host only network).(named them rabbit1 at localhost, rabbit2 at localhost, rabbit3 at localhost)
I am able to ping the three nodes and the initial testing works on single nodes but I cannot seem to communicate between nodes when I try to join a cluster.
I disabled the firewalls for all three.
In addition, I am able to telnet between them without any issues ( finally got this working)
the etc/hosts file is working fine as well

the erlang cookies are synchronized on all three nodes(double verified)

> when I do (rabbitmqctl join_cluster rabbit1)  I get:
rabbitmq Error:{cannot_discover_cluster,"the nodes provided are either offlineor not running"}

Not really sure what I'm missing here?
please Help...

Luis