[rabbitmq-discuss] Error: cannot_discover_cluster: The nodes provided are either offline or not running

k.madnani84 k.madnani84 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 17:46:17 BST 2013

Hi,

My problem is i try to join a a fresh rabbitMq installation on a host in an
existing cluster but am getting this error message:
Clustering node 'CLUSTER1 at zldv0435' with 'CLUSTER1 at zldv0432' ...
Error: cannot_discover_cluster: The nodes provided are either offline or not
running

I am using these steps
rabbitmqctl stop_app
rabbitmqctl join_cluster  CLUSTER1 at zldv0432
rabbitmqctl start_app

I digged through various forums and based upon that i checked that my
.erlang.cookie value is same on both the nodes.I can telnet from one host to
another on epmd port.I am also able to ping from one host to another.

Only difference i see is that the cookie hash generated in start up logs in
2 host CLUSTER1 at zldv0435 & CLUSTER1 at zldv0432 is different.
Could that be a reason,If yes can anyone tell me how does this cookie hash
gets generated and why it is different even though my .erlang.cookie is same

Start Up Logs:

node           : CLUSTER1 at zldv0432
app descriptor : /opt/app/rabbitmq/sbin/../ebin/rabbit.app
home dir       : /opt/app/rabbitmq/data
config file(s) : /opt/app/rabbitmq/etc/rabbitmq.config
cookie hash    : g5OrZEjtM9jYarol6Np04g==
log            : /opt/app/rabbitmq/log/CLUSTER1.log
sasl log       : /opt/app/rabbitmq/log/CLUSTER1-sasl.log
database dir   : /opt/app/rabbitmq/data/mnesia/CLUSTER1

node           : CLUSTER1 at zldv0435
app descriptor : /opt/app/rabbitmq/sbin/../ebin/rabbit.app
home dir       : /opt/app/rabbitmq/data
config file(s) : /opt/app/rabbitmq/etc/rabbitmq.config
cookie hash    : 5f3VqMPJCjwtB8BTP16a3g==