[rabbitmq-discuss] Possible memory leak in the management plugin

Travis Mehlinger tmehlinger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 20:08:10 BST 2013

Hi Simon,

I have more information for you. It turns out I hadn't fully understood the
interaction causing this to happen.

Aside from their regular communication, our services also declare a queue
bound on # to an exchange that we use for collecting stats the services
store internally. In addition to hitting the REST API for information about
the broker, the monitor also opens a connection/channel, declares an
anonymous queue for itself, then sends a message indicating to our services
that they should respond with their statistics. The services then send a
message with a routing key that will direct the response onto the queue
declared by the monitor. This happens every five seconds.

It appears that this is in fact responsible for memory consumption growing
out of control. If I disable that aspect of monitoring and leave the REST
API monitor up, memory consumption stays level.

The problem seems reminiscent of the issues described in this mailing list
thread:
http://rabbitmq.1065348.n5.nabble.com/RabbitMQ-Queues-memory-leak-td25813.html.
However, the queues we declare for stats collection are *not* mirrored.

Hope that helps narrow things down. :)

Best, Travis