[rabbitmq-discuss] unable to connect to RabbitMQ thru public IP address

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jun 13 09:06:50 BST 2013

On 12/06/13 15:34, Joe Guzzardo wrote:
> I installed RabbitMQ on my Windows 7 system and it runs fine. I have a
> Java RabbitMQ client running on the same server that also works fine
> when I connect to my RabbitMQ server using my local IP address,
> 192.168.1.100. I have a static IP assigned to me by my ISP and all ports
> are opened, they tell me. If I do a telnet to 192.168.1.100 5672, I can
> see that my RabbitMQ is listening there but if I telnet using my static
> public IP address and port 5672, I get a message back from Telnet
> stating "Could not open connection to the host, on port 5672: Connect
> failed.  Any idea what I'm missing? TIA, Joe

Your local IP address is in the private range so I assume you have a
router forwarding AMQP traffic from your static public to your local IP
address. Depending on how your network is set up you should try to
telnet to your static public address from outside your network. This is
not AMQP- or RabbitMQ-specific; the same will happen for HTTP or any
other port.

See the tcp_listeners configuration element in case you want to change
the interface that the broker listens on, though that should not be
necessary. When the broker starts up it will log this as follows:
"started TCP Listener on"

-Emile