[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ 3.1.0 HTTP API rates are always zero

Darrell Burgan dburgan at peopleanswers.com
Sat Jun 1 23:20:19 BST 2013

First let me say I absolutely love RabbitMQ. Fabulous uptime and
zero-headaches. I don't even worry about it every going down, it is so
stable. An outstanding product.

I'm sure I'm doing something totally dumb, but I've tried everything I can
think of and I am stumped. I am trying to use the HTTP API to do external
monitoring of my RabbitMQ instances from Nagios. I discovered the HTTP API,
which is awesome. The only trouble is that no matter what query I run via
the HTTP API, the rates always come back as 0.0. For example:

http://xxx:15672/api/overview?columns=message_stats.deliver_get_details.rate

This URL yields the following JSON:

{"message_stats":{"deliver_get_details":{"rate":0.0}}}

Note that the rate is 0.0. This is on a production server that is processing between 100 and 1000 messages per second. Same for this URL:

http://xxx:15672/api/overview?columns=message_stats.publish_details.rate

Yields:

{"message_stats":{"publish_details":{"rate":0.0}}}

I've verified that statistics are being gathered fine-grained.

Just for my own sanity management, I've attached a snippet of the management console from the same server that shows these rates are much higher than zero:

<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-XOjxEDFVhrA/UapynVGypWI/AAAAAAAAAAs/mG9ipbSjiN0/s1600/rabbitmq.png>

So I am stumped. I really want to run an HTTP API query that returns the "651" and "662" shown in the above image, but I cannot find it anywhere in the JSON the HTTP API returns. I have looked at the results for the following API calls to no avail:

/api/overview

/api/nodes

/api/connections

/api/channels