[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ hanging during 'rabbitmqctl stop' - please help

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 30 12:12:15 BST 2013

On 26/07/13 17:45, Casey Marshall wrote:
> On 07/26/2013 05:30 AM, Simon MacMullen wrote:
>> Are you restarting the server immediately after reconfiguring
>> federation, or some time later?
>>
> I'm restarting the server immediately after, on each federated node, in
> parallel with Ansible.

Ah - you do know you don't need to restart for the changes to federation
to take effect?

> I suspect something about the other servers' upstream exchange
> connection attempts, *during* the restart of a server, might have
> something to do with it.

Yes - the deadlock we've found requires a (client) connection or channel
to be opening at just the wrong point during shutdown.

> Is there a workaround I might try to avoid the deadlock?

You are much less likely to hit it if you wait a few seconds before
restarting.

Hopefully we should have a fixed version available for test soon.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal