[rabbitmq-discuss] Question abt Federation over virtual hosts on different nodes

Van Thoai Nguyen nvthoai at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 05:35:40 BST 2013

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create federation exchanges so msgs published to exchange
"amq.direct" on virtual host / of node RabbitA will be sent to federated
exchange "amq.direct" on virtual host UAT of node RabbitB. Here are my
steps, assume that 2 nodes are newly created:

1/ On RabbitB, create virtual host UAT & assign permissions for user guest
2/ On RabbitB, go to Web UI
Navigate to Admin > Federation Upstreams > Add a new upstream.
- Choose Virtual host UAT
- Enter "my-upstream" next to Name, "amqp://RabbitA" next to URI, and
36000000 next to Expiry. Click Add upstream.

3/ On RabbitB, still on Web UI
Navigate to Admin > Policies > Add / update a policy.
- Choose Virtual host UAT
- Enter "federate-me" next to Name, "amq.direct" (without double quotes)
next to Regexp and "federation-upstream-set" = "all"  (without double
quotes) in the first line next to Policy. Click Add policy.

4/ On RabbitB, still on Web UI
Navigate to Admin > Federation Status
- Observe that the state of connection "federate-me" is always "starting"

5/ Go to log file and see that:
=WARNING REPORT==== 24-Jul-2013::14:30:01 ===
Federation exchange 'amq.direct' in vhost 'UAT' did not connect to exchange
'amq.direct' in vhost 'UAT' on amqp://RabbitA
{error,access_refused}

Apparently, the virtual host UAT on RabbitA does not exist. If I create
that virtual host on RabbitA, the connection will be fine but that's not
what i'm expected.
I want the client to publish msgs to to exchange "amq.direct" on virtual
host / on UAT on RabbitA. Is there anyway to do that?

Thanks