[rabbitmq-discuss] Question about erlang cookie

Anton Sizov a.sysoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 09:23:28 BST 2013

hi

1) Probably installation created files with rabbitmq user ownes. It is not
good practice to run rabbitmq server with root privileges. RabbitMQ need
rights to read/write to mnesia and log dirs only. You can run RMQ with non
root user.

2) Default place for .erlang.cookie file is user home directory. Probably
at the installation RMQ places cookie in its installation dir
(/var/lib/rabbitmq). Read
http://www.erlang.org/doc/reference_manual/distributed.html and
http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html for more info about erlang cookie.

3) Your understanding is correct. RMQ uses only one cookie file. To be
consistent you can delete one of them. Start with that placed in user home
dir. Probably RMQ creates cookie in home dir when started not with rabbitmq
user or not with init script (service rabbitmq strarted). I use precompiled
RMQ package that place in /opt dir.

4) You doesn't I think. Different cookies can be the reason of such
problems. To help you, it necessary to know
- how you start rabbitmq node (1 and 2)
- try to start nodes not in cluster on different servers with the same
cookie and with the full name resolving (-name flag instead of -sname).
Then try to get status of each node from it server and from another.

[server1]# rabbitmq -n rabbtimq at server1 status
[server1]# rabbitmq -n rabbtimq at server2 status
[server2]# rabbitmq -n rabbtimq at server1 status
[server2]# rabbitmq -n rabbtimq at server2 status

It is minimum of actions to start resolve your problem.