[rabbitmq-discuss] is a topic exchange _required_ for rabbitmq-mqtt?

David van Geest davidv at spindance.com
Fri Jul 19 22:58:47 BST 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Matthias Radestock
<matthias at rabbitmq.com>wrote:

> David,
>

> On 18/07/13 20:43, David van Geest wrote:
>
>> With Rabbit's Exchange-to-Exchange bindings
>> (http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/**2010/10/19/exchange-to-**
>> exchange-bindings/<http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2010/10/19/exchange-to-exchange-bindings/>
>> ),
>> it seems that MQTT messages could first go to a topic exchange, and
>> then based on exchange-to-exchange bindings, be routed to a custom
>> exchange (such as the random one above).
>>
>> Any reason this wouldn't work?  Am I really off in the weeds?
>>

> That should work just fine. Give it a try.

Matthias, thanks for the reply.

My preference is going to be just using straight AMQP without MQTT, so if
we can get that going on our embedded client I don't think I'll go down
this path too far. I'm a little concerned about the performance
implications of throwing two layers (the MQTT adapter and a topic exchange)
in front of what I really want, which is the random exchange.  Everything
I've read suggests that topic exchanges are the slowest type (correct me if
I'm wrong here).

I will post back if we end up giving this a try.