[rabbitmq-discuss] Shunting messages from one queue to another

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jul 3 11:53:34 BST 2013

On 03/07/13 11:33, Tom Anderson wrote:
> We could use the shovel plugin to do this - in some ways this seems
> ideal. However, shovels are configured in RabbitMQ's configuration files
> as essentially permanent features, which we don't want; we want to be
> able to run a shovel-like process just once, rather than constantly.
> Also, shovels seem to be geared towards moving messages between queues
> in different brokers, whereas in our case, both queues are in a single
> broker. Would it still be sensible to use a shovel?

In the future we hope to have shovels that can be dynamically
reconfigured at run time; I don't consider permanency to be an inherent
feature of shovels. And being able to spin up a quick shovel to move
messages from one queue to another within the same broker is a use case
for that.

However, "permanent" shovels are all we've got at the moment. But bear
in mind the shovel doesn't need to be in the same broker as the queues -
you could spin up an ad hoc broker node on the same machine with
whatever shovels you need, then shut it down when you're done.

Cheer, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal