[rabbitmq-discuss] configure shovel for message throttling

Dushin Fred fred at dushin.net
Fri Jan 25 13:38:22 GMT 2013

As a workaround, you can restart the rabbitmq_shovel OTP application with a new shovels environment, along the lines of something like:

rabbitmqctl eval 'application:stop(rabbitmq_shovel), {ok, [[{rabbit, _}|[{rabbitmq_mochiweb, _}|[{rabbitmq_shovel, [{shovels, Shovels}]}]]]]} = file:consult(".../rabbitmq.config"), application:set_env(rabbitmq_shovel, shovels, Shovels), application:start(rabbitmq_shovel).'

Note that in my case I have complete control over the structure of the rabbitmq.config file, so this solution is not general purpose, but it does work in my limited scenario, and I am sure with a little more creative Erlang you could make the binding to Shovels a bit more resilient...

But the above does not require a restart of the entire broker, or more specifically of the rabbit OTP application.

-Fred