[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ scaling with OpenStack

Ask Solem ask at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jan 22 13:43:36 GMT 2013

On Jan 20, 2013, at 5:47 AM, Ray Pekowski <pekowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alexis,
>
> Thanks for commenting.
>
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 17:14 GMT, Alexis Richardson
> <alexis at rabbitmq.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some of the numbers you saw seem oddly low, and I wonder if there is
>> more going on that is easily fixed.  The config of Rabbit in OpenStack
>> may be very borked.
>
> Some possible things that could make the results lower than you would
> expect are:
> 1) All machines are virtual machines, including the RabbitMQ servers.
> Virtualization typically costs around 40%.
> 2) All VMs were only assigned 2 CPUs.  The CPUs are Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4 GHz.
>

>> Can I ask what clients you used?  It may be worth testing a few different ones.>>
>
> OpenStack uses the kombu.  Unless there is a client with a compatible
> API, I don't think it would be easy to change.

If by an "RPC call" you mean a simple request-reply then 35/s is indeed terribly low,
even with persistent messages you should be able to do a few thousands a sec (depending
on hardware).  With non-persistent messages and using kombu+librabbitmq as the underlying transport
I'm able to do 20,000 messages/s on my laptop...