[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl.bat not working:Cookie handling problem [windows multi-user access]

mabra mabra77 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:57:39 GMT 2013

Hello !

I want to control the shovel status [start/stop/get] and I have to this
from my own program,
which just spawns a sub-process, which uses "rabbitmqctl.bat". It does not
work, but this
is decribed in the trouble shooting document a bit.

I needed hours to find out the consequence of this statement [from the
troubleshooting guide]:

"Evidence of this comes in the form of a mismatch in the node home dir
shown by the broker on startup vs what is displayed in the rabbitmqctl
diagnostics."

is just no help on how to find the cookie, which is in use and how to allow
other users
to use this. In the service-docs is just a small hint:

"It is therefore necessary to synchronise Erlang cookies
   between the local system account (typically C:\WINDOWS\.erlang.cookie and
   the account that will be used to run rabbitmqctl"

This leads to the little nightmare to copy the services cookie to all users
homedirs,
which should be able to run "rabbitmqctl.bat". The cookie value is not in
the services
logfile, so, one cannot know it.

So, is ther another way ? This way would require to copy the cookie each
time, the
service is restarted [so, at least on each boot!]. Is there probably a
direct accessible
way from a Net Framework program ?

Thanks,

++mabra