[rabbitmq-discuss] Increasing the file descriptors limit

Jean Paul Galea ninuhadida at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:57:32 GMT 2013

On 01/17/2013 01:47 PM, Tim Watson wrote:
> Don't you need to change /etc/sysctl.conf as well?

Not sure, but re. your next question;

> Hmn, does `sysctl fs.file-max` return the same?

~# sysctl fs.file-max
fs.file-max = 6513989

~# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
6513989

~# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
416	0	6513989

So I assume we don't need to change /etc/sysctl.conf since the maximum
limit is much higher than the 102400 we're trying to allocate for RabbitMQ.

> Was erlang compiled with epoll support enabled? Erlang will fall back on 'select' if it can't find/use epoll or if epoll is not enabled during compilation, and that will leave you with max 1024 fd limit, regardless of what the OS will allow.

We installed Erlang using the esl-erlang package from erlang-solutions.
How can I check if epoll support is enabled? I'm not very Erlang
literate I'm afraid.

Thanks.