[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq gets high load

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jan 17 09:53:08 GMT 2013

Hi Doug

On 17 Jan 2013, at 04:29, Doug wrote:

>  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 17994 rabbitmq  20   0 11.6g  10g 1764 S  367 66.2 416834:07 beam.smp
>
> As you see, rabbitmq process has lots of system load (367% CPU, 66.2% memory).

Certainly looks like it. That level of CPU utilisation is a bit surprising.

> It even can't list the queue now:
>
> root at ubuntu:~# rabbitmqctl -p /pay list_queues
> Listing queues ...
> ^C
> BREAK: (a)bort (c)ontinue (p)roc info (i)nfo (l)oaded
>       (v)ersion (k)ill (D)b-tables (d)istribution
>

> So how to handle this case? Thanks.

You've not given us much to go on here. Normally I'd ask you to run the output of `rabbitmqctl report` but that's likely to lock up just as list_queues is doing. Can you post the regular as sasl rabbit logs please? If they're too bit to post, a /paste/ url will do fine and of course you may wish to scrub the logs to remove any private information if that's relevant.

Also what kind of /usage/ is this rabbit subject to at the time? Is it serving a large number of producers, consumers, both? Have you looked at any stats around the time this starts happening in order to see what the broker is up to?

Cheers,
Tim