[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbitmq 2.5-2.6.1 java hanging on close of connection

Sankalp Acharya sankalp.acharya at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 20:55:06 GMT 2013

Incidentally, we figured out what the problem is.

It seems that when the watermark checking was added in RabbitMQ 2.8.1,
there was a feature that was added that basically blocks all currently-open
connections until the watermark thresholds are cleared. What was happening
on our build servers is that the test instance of RabbitMQ was just barely
crossing the disk watermark threshold to where the MQ server started
blocking connections. This would happen intermittently, depending on which
side of the watermark the free disk space was at.

It seems that the connection blocking, in turn, *also* blocks close
requests from being ack'd! This certainly seems like a bug to me – I'm not
sure why the server should deny already-connected clients the ability to
close their connections.

At any rate, I wanted to post to this thread in case anyone else ran into
this error.

Sankalp Acharya
WhaleShark Media