[rabbitmq-discuss] One Producer, X Consumers where X can change

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Fri Jan 11 11:30:00 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 10/01/13 18:22, Shadowalker wrote:
> What I'd like to know now is whether I can configure my manager to wait
> for a return "from the queue" (or something else) to be notified that
> all references have been removed.

If the manager knows how many responses to expect then a possible
solution would be for the manager to populate the "reply-to" property in
the request message and have replies sent to this queue. The manager can
take action as soon as all replies are received.

If the manager does not know how many replies to expect then the problem
becomes alot harder. It becomes tricky to distinguish between a consumer
crashing and a message taking very long to process. You may need to
tolerate the presence of timeouts.

> Note2 : I've seen the documentation about RPC calls but this is not
> really what I'm looking for and if avoidable, I'll rather do so.

Two-way communication is the easiest way to solve this problem. Can you
explain your reluctance to avoid RPC?

-Emile