[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ for synchronous communication

antony antony.pulicken at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 09:55:58 GMT 2013

Hi,

We are planning to use RabbitMQ RPC in some use cases where 'synchronous'
communication is required and I have gone through the RPC tutorial. The
goals are 1) to de-couple the existing C++ commponents from the new
functionalities/components that are being developed 2) new components will
be developed in Java and it will subscribe to the messages produced by the
C++ component 3) In future we can add more subscribers for doing various
other operations.

I would like to know the following:

1) In the Asynchronous mode we have various options for guaranteed delivery
like auto ack, explicit ack from the subscriber etc. How do we handle the
same in 'synchronous' scenario with the request queue and response queue in
picture?

2) We are planning to have highly available queues in a cluster by taking
advantage of queue mirroring feature supported in rabbitmq for asynchronous
scenarios. Is the approach same for synchronous use cases and do we need to
mirror both request and response queues ?

3)Are there any other recommendations considering it will be a synchronous
reliable system in a highly available cluster ?

Regards,
Antony.