[rabbitmq-discuss] Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at rabbit1: nodedown

Shawn Smith shawn.smith at gengo.com
Thu Jan 3 22:26:15 GMT 2013

Hi,

I can't cluster two rabbit nodes running on EC2. I've gone through the
troubleshooting docs as well as done quite a bit of Googling.

The EC2 firewalls are allowing all TCP traffic. When I run `sudo
rabbitmqctl -n rabbit at rabbit1 status` from the second node (rabbit2), I see
this:

ubuntu at second_rabbit:~$ sudo rabbitmqctl -n rabbit at rabbit1 status
Status of node rabbit at rabbit1 ...
Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at rabbit1: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

nodes in question: [rabbit at rabbit1]

hosts, their running nodes and ports:
- rabbit1: [{rabbit,51588}]

current node details:
- node name: 'rabbitmqctl9276 at second_rabbit'
- home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
- cookie hash: XDJW5BX8HtadjBvTgWRdXw==

The Erlang cookies in /var/lib/rabbitmq/.erlang.cookie are the same.

I've added the IPs and hosts to /etc/hosts like so:

[on rabbit1]:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 rabbit1
[rabbit2's IP] rabbit2

[on rabbit2]:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 rabbit2
[rabbit1's IP] rabbit1

I can telnet from rabbit2 to rabbit1 ports 5672 and 4369.

Can anyone help me out or point me at some docs?

Best,
Shawn