[rabbitmq-discuss] Automating a RabbitMQ 3.0 cluster on EC2

Mathias Meyer meyer at paperplanes.de
Thu Jan 3 09:52:04 GMT 2013

On Saturday, 29. December 2012 at 15:37, Francesco Mazzoli wrote:
> OK, I think I understand your issues better now: you’d like better tools to
> exist to setup clustering in an automated environment like Chef. Right now we
> don’t provide much in that space.
>
> What we had in mind is something along the lines of “take a declarative
> description of a cluster, e.g. ‘I want a rabbit cluster consisting of four
> nodes, A,B,C,D. A & B shall be disk nodes, C & D ram nodes’, and try to convert
> that into a set of commands to execute on the four machines, with the commands
> being idempotent and execution order between machines being irrelevant.”. This
> sounds reasonable and not too hard to do. I can’t promise anything though :).

That sounds like a great idea, and I'm all for it. In general it'd be great to have some more operational and automation knowledge collected in the documentation too.

> For what concerns now, things like
>
> > join_cluster does fit my needs, but in an automated environment, e.g. with
> > Chef, that command would be triggered every 30 minutes. Would you consider
> > that a good practice to do?
> >

> Are perfectly fine, you can easily check periodically if a node is clustered as
> you want and fix it if something is not of your liking. However be aware that
> `join_cluster' will leave the current cluster the node is in and thus reset the
> node, so act carefully.

That sound reasonable. It's also why I like the configuration file approach though. It's a declarative approach and doesn't require any commands to be fired to e.g. check if the node is part of the cluster and make it join via join_cluster, when run via Chef, reducing resource overhead just a little bit :)

Thanks!

Cheers, Mathias