[rabbitmq-discuss] Producer confirms as a heuristic for rate limiting

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:38:14 GMT 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to write a benchmark suite for latency and was wondering whether using outstanding producer confirms can be used a heuristic for back pressure (where the application defines it own window size).

What I am trying to achieve is to improve the accuracy of my latency figures.

Originally I began to throttle the sending based on time - in this scenario the application has to schedule itself in and out, which means writing and maintaining timing code.

So I was wondering whether I could use the confirms to exert back pressure onto the sending app, or is this idea completely bogus?

Cheers,

Ben