[rabbitmq-discuss] Changing arguments on an existing queue

Mark Johnston MJohnston at lifetouch.com
Wed Feb 27 18:05:39 GMT 2013

I'm working on a Puppet module that uses the RabbitMQ HTTP management API to manage it in a more comprehensive way than rabbitmqctl allows - permissions, vhosts, queues, etc.  I'd like to support the case where an argument is added or changed on a queue, but when I send an HTTP PUT to change a queue, I get an "inequivalent arg" error:

406 PRECONDITION_FAILED - inequivalent arg 'x-message-ttl'for queue 'some.queue.name' in vhost '/': received the value '2000' of type 'long' but current is the value '1000' of type 'long'

If I manually delete the queue beforehand and then send the same PUT, it goes through okay.  I don't think I can do this from my Puppet module, though, since the queue's messages and consumers would be lost as a result.  Is it possible to change arguments on an existing queue without deleting and recreating it?

Thanks,
Mark