[rabbitmq-discuss] Regarding the blocking state

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 25 11:14:39 GMT 2013

On 25/02/2013 9:54AM, Mattamadugu L N Seshendra wrote:
> Hi,
> I am seshendra, As I was testing the rabbitMQ I have found a problem
> that when my memory (RAM)  reaches its limit, Then I will receive
> a notification and I have noticed that it is blocking the connections.
> So I thing is that what happens to the messages in the blocking state
> whether the messages will be dropped or when rabbitmq comes back to
> normal state then It receives the messages from the point there it is
> blocking.

The producers will (in general, depending on the client library) block -
i.e. hang - while publishing a message.

So the message hasn't been lost, but neither has RabbitMQ accepted
responsibility for it.

Once the memory alarm clears then the broker will start accepting
messages again and the producer should finish publishing - although it's
not inconceivable that the client could time out (again, depending on
the client).

So it's not great to be hitting the memory alarm - you should consider
provisioning more memory (and also upgrading, especially if you are
running < 2.8 which hit the memory alarm far more often).

Cheers, Simon