[rabbitmq-discuss] Java client notifications when basicPublish is throttled due to disk_free_limit

Joshua Crean joshua.crean at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:21:43 GMT 2013

Hi there,

We have a question about using the Java client library to publish messages.
Basically, we are having trouble finding out when a basicPublish fails due
to throttling on the disk_free_limit. Publishing is obviously asynchronous,
but we haven't been able to find a way to register a callback on the
publish. We've tried e.g. ReturnListener/ConfirmListener to no avail.

Is there any way for the rabbit java client code to provide some type of
notification when basicPublish is being throttled due to the
disk_free_limit? Also, where do these un-published messages end up? We've
tried to use rabbitmqctl to inspect the state of the
queues/exchanges/channels, but the messages don't appear in any of these.

We are concerned about the potential to lose messages that the java code
thinks it published successfully.

Thank you.