[rabbitmq-discuss] Threadpools and rejected messages (java client)

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Feb 15 06:07:23 GMT 2013

Jonathan,

On 15/02/13 06:01, Jonathan Halterman wrote:
> Could messages potentially stack up on the client or will it stop
> receiving messages until it has the capacity to process them? My concern
> is oversaturating the client/threadpool with messages. Is that possible?

You can control the flow of messages to the client by consuming in ack
mode and setting a prefetch count with
http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-java-client/v3.0.2/rabbitmq-java-client-javadoc-3.0.2/com/rabbitmq/client/Channel.html#basicQos(int),
which determines how many messages the server will send to the client
before needing to get an acknowledgement.

Matthias.