[rabbitmq-discuss] flow control threshold

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Feb 7 15:17:07 GMT 2013

The flow control should only be restricting the rate at which you can
publish into a queue to the rate at which the queue can accept messages
- in other words it should only ever slow publishing down, and not by
too much.

If you have seen it block publishing altogether that would be a serious
bug. Can you post your script somewhere?

Cheers, Simon

On 07/02/13 12:35, Gilles Danycan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a serious problem to consume and requeue messages on a specific
> queue. i think the flow control is blocking connection...
> I'm using RabbitMQ 3.0.2, Erlang R15B03 on a debian server : 64go ram ,
> 8 cpu.
>
> i have a script (named consumer) consuming and requeue messages on a
> queue named "mainQueue" (actually 900 000 messages into this queue) and
> another one publishing messages on the same queue (arround 200mess/s).
> each message is arroung 15kbytes and deliverymode =2 and durable.
>
> usually the script consumer is able to get and requeue messages at
> 1000mess/s, sometimes the same script is in hold, it doesn't consumer
> messages.., i see in connections that the connection is in state : flow
>
> i found documentation about flow control but i would like more advices
> about how to determine the flow control specificaly with my
> configuration and how to change the threshold.
>

> i send you below more details about the rabbitmq server status..
>

> Connections: *328*
> Channels: *328*
> Exchanges: *120*
> Queues: *111*
> Consumers: *0
>
> *
> File descriptors (?) 	Socket descriptors (?) 	Erlang processes 	Memory
> Disk space 	Uptime 	Type
> 527
> _1048576 available
>
> 330