[rabbitmq-discuss] Round robin Topic exchange s

Marc Teichtahl marc at teichtahl.com
Thu Feb 7 11:23:02 GMT 2013

Simon

You are correct in your last statement

For each message to a topic exchange identify the matching queues and
then round robin between theses.

Sent from my iPhone

On 07/02/2013, at 16:40, Simon MacMullen <simon at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

Sorry, it's not very clear what 'I would like the exchange to round
robin messages to each consumer queue for the "same" topic' means.

Do you mean something like: for each message, evaluate the routing as
a topic exchange normally would, giving a list of queues. But then
rather than routing to all those queues, just route to one, in some
round robin fashion?

Or something else?

Cheers, Simon

On 07/02/13 10:50, Marc Teichtahl wrote:
> Im seeking some advise as to how best configure my rabbitMQ exchanges.
>
> Im trying to use a topic exchange in a round robin methodology. Each
> consumer has its own (uniquely) named queue attached to a topic
> exchange. I would like the exchange to round robin messages to each
> consumer queue for the "same" topic - lets say *.log for example.
>
> I have tried multiple combinations and only seem to be able to
> simultaneously deliver messages to the consumer queues which effectively
> means Im processing the message twice, once in each consumer.
>
> for clarity I also have a fanout exchange, which I use to "control" the
> consumers (start, stop etc).this should remain in place in any outcome.
>
> Any guidance on how best to achieve the stated outcome would be great.
>

> Marc

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware