[rabbitmq-discuss] Config file syntax changes between 2.8.7 and 3.0.X

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Feb 7 11:06:21 GMT 2013

On 06/02/13 22:12, Matt Pietrek wrote:
> *1) Specifying a node as a 'disc' node in the cluster config*
>
> In http://previous.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html, the cluster node list
> example looks like this:
>
> {cluster_nodes, ['rabbit at rabbit1', 'rabbit at rabbit2']},
>
> In the current 3.0.X clustering.html, it show this:
>
> {cluster_nodes, {['rabbit at rabbit1', 'rabbit at rabbit2', 'rabbit at rabbit3'], disc}},
>
> Note the addition of the 'disc' near the end.
>
> Is the 'disc' only allowed in 3.0.X config files? I know 'disc' is the
> default, but in a 3.0.X cluster, I was seeing a node start as 'ram'
> unless I specified it. But then trying to start a 2.8.7 broker with
> 'disc" specified resulted in the inability to start it.

The two configs are actually a bit more different than that; the meaning
of the list of nodes differs.

In 2.x the list of nodes must contain *all* the disc nodes in the
cluster; in order to become a disc node the node itself must be listed
there.

In 3.x the list of nodes denotes a list of nodes to try communicating
with. RabbitMQ will find one which is up, get the real state of the
cluster from that node, and join as either a disc or ram node according
to the config.

For backwards compatibility 3.x has the ability to read the 2.x style
config - in which case the node type will be inferred from whether the
node is in the list of nodes. A warning also gets written to logs in
this case.

> *2) Configuring the Management API port*
>
> In the http://previous.rabbitmq.com/management.html, the management port
> looks to be configured like this:
>
> {rabbitmq_mochiweb, [{listeners, [{mgmt, [{port, 55555}]}]}]},
>

> whereas in 3.0.X, it looks like the port is configured like this:
>
> {rabbitmq_management, [{listener, [{port, 12345}]}]},
>

> Is the 2.8.7 syntax not allowed in 3.0.X?

No, that's just changed outright.

The good news is we are not planning to make breaking changes like this
again any time soon...

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen