[rabbitmq-discuss] Cluster capability?

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 09:36:36 GMT 2013

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delayed answer....

On 25 Dec 2013, at 18:22, Paul Bell wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I think we're close to the answer I need in order to think about this more clearly. So, if I have two HA clusters connected via Shovel and I want to publish a message that will be propagated not only to the local nodes in the cluster, but also across the Shovel to all of the nodes in the remote cluster, to where must I publish?

I'm not sure I understand your topology precisely here, sorry.

> Can my component simply publish to any exchange on its node, or must it publish twice, once to any exchange on its node and again to a "special" exchange which represents one end of the Shovel? (I don't really mean "any" exchange; just trying to make a distinction between a local exchange I've defined and which is mirrored across the local cluster, and what I suppose to be a different exchange that is one end of the Shovel. I may be way out of my depth in making this distinction).

The shovel reads from a queue (on the source) and publishes to an exchange (the destination). There's nothing special about the queue it reads from or the exchange it publishes to - they're just regular objects. Once you publishes to an exchange, how the message gets routed is entirely up to you (of course) and which queue(s) the shovel reads from is completely configurable.

Cheers,
Tim