[rabbitmq-discuss] Running RabbitMQ with little RAM

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Dec 19 10:48:09 GMT 2013

On 19/12/13 08:05, Gotthard, Petr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Did anyone try to run RabbitMQ in an embedded / very memory constrained
> environment? Currently we run Rabbit nicely at a  512MB machine, but we
> would like to downgrade to far less RAM. What is the world record for
> smallest RabbitMQ installation? Did anyone tried e.g. 64MB?
>
> I’ve seen Erlang-mini that claims to fit into 20MB. If we reduce the
> prefetch and use very small messages, could 48-64MB RAM be a realistic
> number?

The Erlang mini claim is for disk space BTW.

I don't have any real world experience trying to make RabbitMQ fit into
a small memory footprint, but here are some observations:

You can certainly get an idle rabbit to fit into < 32MB memory. To
squeeze out the last few MB you should disable all plugins, reduce the
maximum number of Erlang processes by modifying SERVER_ERL_ARGS to take
out the '+P 1048576' attribute, and reduce the ulimit to a reasonably
small number.

A lightly loaded rabbit will use little more than that. But heavily
quickly.

Hopefully others have more real world experience...

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal