[rabbitmq-discuss] Best way to ping server from client

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 17:24:32 GMT 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM, James Gardner <james.gardner at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Great to get your reply, I didn't expect to hear from the Creator ;). Sorry
> about the delay, I wanted to think further on this before responding.
> The access_request idea was the type of answer I was looking for, but alas:
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/undeprecated.html
> ...so I can't base a solution on it.

I'm not sure IF we are ever going to remove the access class. Maybe
some other RabbitMQ dev can answer this question.

> Also, if you would care to, I would like to ask you to comment on:
> https://github.com/videlalvaro/php-amqplib/commit/20d50074e6a2904737d23d93e36fd22ece46add2
> Not sure I fully understand the exact implications or limitations that
> result from this issue; what are the scenarios in which this would cause a
> problem?

The problem there is that after a read timeout, an exception will be
thrown, breaking most consumers out there. What the library needs to
do is to handle those timeouts internally and then abide by the
timeout parameter passed to channel wait().

In the meantime your solution might work. In my case, I'll try to
implement AMQP heartbeats.

Regards,

Alvaro