[rabbitmq-discuss] Using export/import broker configuration as a way of backup/restore

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Dec 12 10:35:05 GMT 2013

On 11/12/2013 20:14, Kapil Goyal wrote:
> I need to know what broker entities are not available for export. I am
> aware messages and auto-delete queues are not exported. Are there any
> more? Maybe point me to some document?

I don't think there's any documentation other than the code:

http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-management/file/3eeb9cde47e4/src/rabbit_mgmt_wm_definitions.erl

The basic idea is to export all metadata we can successfully recreate.

So we don't export:
* messages (not metadata)
* connections and channels (obviously)
* exclusive queues (can't be recreated without a connection to attach to)
* built in exchanges (can't be recreated / no point)
* bindings to queues we are not going to export (no point)
* bindings to the default exchange (will be automatically recreated)

Auto-delete queues *are* exported.

Cheers, Simon