[rabbitmq-discuss] Recurring partitioning problem on local network

Bill Chmura bchmura at nurturhealth.com
Mon Dec 9 22:20:11 GMT 2013

Hello,

Even after upping the net_tick_time to 120 we still have had issues with the cluster partioning.  Although today we came up with evidence that this is tied to our deployment process to our production systems.  Hence I am back to thinking this is a network or I/O problem.

Is there anything we can watch specifically when we do the deploy to catch what is going on in the erlang / rabbit world?  As I mentioned before we are not seeing anything overt in our monitoring or performance charts.  We plan on re-looking at it as we re-enact the deployment over and over again.   Our focus will be pretty much on the network and NIC I/O and virtual interfaces, etc.  Previous checks of the deployment stage showed overall network usage spiked to about 30% so it seemed unlikely, but....

Can someone confirm for me that I understand these events correctly?  I would really appreciate it

=INFO REPORT==== 9-Dec-2013::05:43:41 ===
rabbit on node 'rabbit at NURWEB-QAAPP01' down

// The above indicates the net_ticktime expired without a good response?

=ERROR REPORT==== 9-Dec-2013::05:43:41 ===
Mnesia('rabbit at NURWEB-QAWEB01'): ** ERROR ** mnesia_event got {inconsistent_database, running_partitioned_network, 'rabbit at NURWEB-QAAPP01'}

// This means it got back in touch with QAAPP01 and neither had gotten good results from the net_ticktime specified "pings".  So it partitioned itself off.  So close to it being down though?

=ERROR REPORT==== 9-Dec-2013::05:43:41 ===
** Generic server <0.323.0> terminating
** Last message in was {mnesia_locker,'rabbit at NURWEB-QAAPP01',granted}
** When Server state == {state,<0.321.0>,<0.322.0>,rabbit_mgmt_sup,
                            [{rabbit_mgmt_db,
                                 {rabbit_mgmt_db,start_link,[]},
                                 permanent,4294967295,worker,
                                 [rabbit_mgmt_db]}]}
** Reason for termination ==
** {unexpected_info,{mnesia_locker,'rabbit at NURWEB-QAAPP01',granted}}

// This (above) I have seen rarely, but it seems related - any ideas aside from the node crashed?

=INFO REPORT==== 9-Dec-2013::05:43:43 ===
only running disc node went down

// Above indicates the cluster as it is now no longer has QAAPP01 which is the disk node.

=ERROR REPORT==== 9-Dec-2013::05:45:35 ===
Mnesia('rabbit at NURWEB-QAWEB01'): ** ERROR ** mnesia_event got {inconsistent_database, running_partitioned_network, 'rabbit at NURWEB-QAWEB02'}

// The above indicates that it just portioned itself off from another of the cluster

Any help would be very much appreciated - especially confirming that I understand the above events will help with the troubleshooting process.

Regards,

Bill Chmura    Director, IT Development Services