[rabbitmq-discuss] How does Messages will be persisted in RabbitMQ?

Michael Klishin michael at rabbitmq.com
Fri Aug 30 11:28:53 BST 2013

Rajasekhar P:

> I would like to know, how the messages are stored in RabbitMQ server. Whether it is file level or DB level persistence?

RabbitMQ uses its own storage layer for messages, not an external database. Certain parts of it are pluggable
and can use K/V stores such as Tokyo Cabinet.

> And please let clarify me what is DISC, RAM and MNESIA

Mnesia is a distributed database that RabbitMQ uses to store information about users, exchanges, queues, bindings, etc. Messages or message positions in queues are not stored in Mnesia.

Mnesia can store data either in RAM or on disk, or both. You can learn about disk and RAM nodes
on [1]. If you want to learn more about Mnesia, see [2], but
you don't need to learn anything about it in order to use RabbitMQ.

1. http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html
2. http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/mnesia/Mnesia_chap1.html#id57488

MK