[rabbitmq-discuss] join_cluster error: The nodes provided are either offline or not running

Marco, Amy amy at ebrary.com
Tue Aug 20 00:03:09 BST 2013

Hi,

I am receiving the following error upon trying to cluster two rabbitmq nodes.

dev-rmq03:pts/0{amy}/etc/rabbitmq>sudo rabbitmqctl join_cluster rabbit at dev-rmq02
Clustering node 'rabbit at dev-rmq03' with 'rabbit at dev-rmq02' ...
Error: {cannot_discover_cluster,"The nodes provided are either offline or not running"

I have opened ports :
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 4369 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5672 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5673 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 15672 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 55672 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 15673 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 15674 -j ACCEPT
(ps can you also tell me which ports I actually need? A developer keeps requesting additional ports for me to try but it makes me uncomfortable opening so many)

On both nodes. I can ping each hostname from each other and telnet to port 5672 to each.

I have also verified that the hash value and .erlang.cookie in $RABBIT_HOME is the same and have perms rabbitmq:rabbitmq 0400 each.

Log:

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:18 ===
node           : rabbit at dev-rmq03
home dir       : /var/lib/rabbitmq
config file(s) : (none)
cookie hash    : fqOuPm+oysAbZXSsQO2ZfQ==
log            : /var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at dev-rmq03.log
sasl log       : /var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at dev-rmq03-sasl.log
database dir   : /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at dev-rmq03

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:18 ===
Limiting to approx 924 file handles (829 sockets)

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:18 ===
Memory limit set to 1531MB of 3829MB total.

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:18 ===
Disk free limit set to 1000MB

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:18 ===
Adding vhost '/'

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:18 ===
Creating user 'guest'

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:18 ===
Setting user tags for user 'guest' to [administrator]

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:18 ===
Setting permissions for 'guest' in '/' to '.*', '.*', '.*'

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:19 ===
msg_store_transient: using rabbit_msg_store_ets_index to provide index

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:19 ===
msg_store_persistent: using rabbit_msg_store_ets_index to provide index

=WARNING REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:19 ===
msg_store_persistent: rebuilding indices from scratch

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:19 ===
started TCP Listener on [::]:5672

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:19 ===
Server startup complete; 0 plugins started.

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:30 ===
Stopping RabbitMQ

=INFO REPORT==== 19-Aug-2013::15:46:30 ===
stopped TCP Listener on [::]:5672

Anything else you guys can think of for me to try to resolve this issue?

Thank you so much!

Amy