[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Crashes with Out Of Memory errors.

harel at thisisglow.com harel at thisisglow.com
Thu Aug 15 10:58:53 BST 2013

Hi,

We've been using RabbitMQ Since early 1.x days and it has been a great and
reliable queueing system. In the last few months we've started experiencing
severe rabbit crashes, all due to 'out of memory' errors, where rabbit is
killed by the kernel. We're using rabbit with celery in a python
application.

We did go through some infrastructure changes when those crashes began - we
moved to a different data centre and upgraded rabbit from 2.x to latest 3.x
(as well as celery to the latest 3.x version). The spec of the machine
running rabbit did not change though - the old and new servers had 16GB of
ram and both had a few other things running on them - a few celery nodes
and memcached (limited to 2GB).
In our old setup, no matter how big the queues become rabbit stayed alive
and well. In the new setup once memory usage spikes too high, rabbit dies.

As an intermediate solution we've prepared a 32GB ram machine and will use
the old 16GB one as a secondary (i.e., run rabbit in a cluster). However it
is very important to us to understand why we are experiencing those crashes
- adding hardware only solves the symptom but not the problem.
Why does rabbit fail when memory is spiking? What causes the kernel to kill
it? The error message is always a cryptic Out Of Memory and Killed by
Kernel though I'm convinced there is something trivial we are missing in
our new setup that causes the kernel to terminate rabbit in those cases.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Harel