[rabbitmq-discuss] Net::RabbitFoot - Perl interface described on website failing to build

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Aug 13 14:17:40 BST 2013

Hi Dan,

Thanks for pointing this out.

On 12/08/13 14:49, Dan A wrote:
> The Perl module advocated on the website for use with RabbitMQ, in
> the website's tutorials, Net::RabbitFoot, fails to build on my system.

I can confirm I get the same error on perl 5.18:

#   Failed test '... got the right key value pairs'
#   at t/003_basic_hash.t line 174.
#     Structures begin differing at:
#          $got->[0][0] = 'quantity'
#     $expected->[0][0] = 'xxy'
# Looks like you failed 1 test of 50.

I notice that there is a patch for this problem in the bugreport you
linked, but the better solution is to break dependency on this module.

In addition, Net::AMQP fails to compile on 32bit systems due to "Invalid
type 'Q' in pack" (Net/AMQP/Common.pm line 137). There are potential
workarounds for this using Math::Int64.

Unfortunately it seems that Net::RabbitFoot is unusable on the latest
version of Perl, and on 32bit systems. There are AMQP libraries that do
not depend on MooseX::AttributeHelpers, it may be worth trying those.
Another option is to use an older version of Perl, on a 64bit system.
Net::RabbitFoot is known to work on 5.14.

In the meantime we will update the documentation and attempt to make
contact with the maintainers of the relevant modules.

-Emile