[rabbitmq-discuss] Question on RabbitMQ and file I/O characteristics

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Aug 6 16:47:11 BST 2013

At this point we probably need to look at what exactly your tests are doing.

You mention that you are publishing in transactions. Does that mean you
publish each message in a separate transaction? If so then the publishes
from each channel can't be coalesced together for obvious reasons.

If you are then publishing in multiple channels simultaneously then
maybe those can coalesce together - although each queue has its own
journal so if you are publishing to a lot of queues this might not be
the case. Message contents get written to the (global) message store and
thus obviously can be coalesced, but the queue index journals are separate.

So:

1) Does that make sense?
2) What does your publishing really look like? And consuming come to that.

Cheers, Simon

PS: for reference, I can publish nearly 4000 persistent confirmed
messages per second into a single queue at once, with about 90
writes/sec. So coalescing does happen...

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal