[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ and AMQP 0-10?

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Thu Aug 1 13:24:47 BST 2013

On 07/31/2013 04:31 PM, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> On 31/07/13 16:06, Gotthard, Petr wrote:
>> Could you please clarify a bit what is so different in AMQP 0-10 so that
>> “RabbitMQ is unlikely ever to support AMQP 0-10” as said  here:
>> https://www.rabbitmq.com/specification.html?
>
> Pretty much everything is different.
>
> You should probably download and read the AMQP 0-10 spec from
> http://www.amqp.org/specification/0-10/amqp-org-download to get a good
> handle on that question.
>
> But AMQP 0-9-1, 0-10 and 1.0 really are all quite different from each
> other. They all have different codecs, different commands sets, and
> different semantics.
>
> The AMQP 1.0 implementation in RabbitMQ shares essentially no code in
> common with the 0-9-1 implementation. Any putative support for 0-10
> would be another from-scratch implementation - and we don't really see
> there being enough demand for it.

I agree. With increasing support for 1.0, going back to add 0-10 support
doesn't make much sense. For interoperability with AMQP, 1.0 is where it
will happen.

Most clients that support 0-10 now also support 1.0 through the same
API, so switching may be possible. You can also do bridging between 0-10
and 1.0 using e.g. qpidd. I have had success with (admittedly quite
simple) tests between qpid::messaging, qpidd and RabbitMQ over 1.0.