[rabbitmq-discuss] Question about starting a node

srd srd at duneram.com
Tue Apr 30 23:39:07 BST 2013

I'm new to rabbitMQ.
Having trouble getting connection to my RabbitMQ node:
I start fresh (ps shows nothing running)
I had no .erlang.cookie prior to starting because I deleted it.

I start the server (as rabbitmq user)
-bash-4.1$ rabbitmqctl status
Status of node rabbit at node1 ...
Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at node1: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

nodes in question: [rabbit at node1]

hosts, their running nodes and ports:
- node1: [{rabbit,39755},{rabbitmqctl24649,36189}]

current node details:
- node name: rabbitmqctl24649 at node1
- home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
- cookie hash: tUkC93ZXvsKATv+pT6hrZQ==

I've tried looking at the docs and this one puzzles me.
1) I could see why rabbit at node1 isn't able to connect because I just started it.  Is that what the error pertains to?
2) Why does it think my nodename is rabbitmqctl2469 at node1?
   Why isn't it rabbit at node1 ?
3) if I do a rabbitmqctl status command I get:
-bash-4.1$ rabbitmqctl status
skip preloader
Status of node rabbit at node1 ...
Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at node1: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

nodes in question: [rabbit at node1]

hosts, their running nodes and ports:
- node1: [{rabbit,39755},{rabbitmqctl24868,34136}]

current node details:
- node name: rabbitmqctl24868 at node1
- home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
- cookie hash: tUkC93ZXvsKATv+pT6hrZQ==

-bash-4.1$

On top of all the problems trying to connect with rabbit at node1, it appears the node name is now different

before it was:
node name: rabbitmqctl24649 at node1
now its
node name: rabbitmqctl24868 at node1

Would someone explain what is going on?   I eventually want to have a cluster but that is down the road once I understand the basics here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Dave