[rabbitmq-discuss] Why Clustering ? Load Balancing

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Tue Apr 30 13:02:32 BST 2013

This *does* seem quite bewildering to imagine doesn't it. I was also working on the assumption that the OP had a 'producer' application and several 'consumer' applications, all of which were connected to a RabbitMQ broker (or cluster of brokers). It sounds like the OP is running a broker on each client node, but the question now is for T.luck: why are you doing that? It's quite possible that this is the cause of the 'issues' you're seeing, but it's really hard to say without understanding what you're trying to do.

If you're deliberately using connectivity between brokers (e.g., via the shovel or federation plugins) to move data around, then that's fine and good - we can talk about performance issues with regards that kind of setup. But if you're trying to publish messages from one application and consume them from one or more others, then you should not have a broker installed along-side each client, but rather you should be running one (or more, clustered) broker centrally and the publishing/consuming applications should connect to the remote (broker) host.

Perhaps if you - the OP - could clarify what exactly you're up to, we'd be able to help a bit more.

Cheers,
Tim