[rabbitmq-discuss] Freely licensed specs

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Apr 24 16:16:41 BST 2013

Hi,

I am a Debian developer, and as you may know Debian is pretty strict on
licensing issues.

Some AMQP-related tools and libraries require the AMQP specs available
at build- or runtime.  For plain AMQP there are BSD-licensed "stripped"
specs available, but it seems your derived specs are available only
licensed with the Debian-incompatible AMQP license :-(

Please publish your derived specs in a form freely licensed.

Regards,

 - Jonas

P.S.

To ease the burden on you, I have locally made some files by comparing
AMQP-licensed specs and applying similar to BSD-licensed "stripped"
specs.  I am not the copyright holder of those XML chunks that I
transfered so cannot legally relicense my diff, and ironically the AMQP
license does not even allow me to share the diff I created with this
list (because it is not "for the purpose of implementing the Advanced
Messaging Queue Protocol Specification.")

If interested in my prepared files, please one of the authors of the
forked specs files get in touch with me privately, and I shall happily
pass it on for you to formally claim yours and publish.

P.P.S.

This issue is pretty serious, it seems: Some existing AMQP-related
Debian packages are at risk of being removed from Debian if this is not
solved.