[rabbitmq-discuss] 3.0.4 extremely unstable in production...?

Matt Wise matt at nextdoor.com
Mon Apr 22 16:12:24 BST 2013

Thanks guys for all of the feedback and details. We've been doing some testing with clusters of 2 and 3 RabbitMQ nodes and we've noticed that its relatively easy to trigger a partition with 3 nodes, but when we use 2 it seems that its much more resilient.

In the short term, I think we're going to use 2 nodes in our RabbitMQ farm. We're working on a patch for Celery that leverages our nd_service_registry module (https://github.com/nextdoor/ndserviceregistry) to dynamically discover the RabbitMQ nodes. With this code, we should be able to have all of our clients connect to 'the first' host in the RabbitMQ farm thats available... so in the event of a network partition, our servers will still all be connected to the same place. This leaves the second node as a data mirror, and failover server just in case the first server fails.

Once 3.1 is out and we can experiment more with some of the automatic healing-code you guys are working on, we'll re-evaluvate the layout and see where we go from there. Federation is really interesting, but I think for now we'd rather keep the environment as simple as possible.

--Matt