[rabbitmq-discuss] Filtering

Lee Sylvester lee.sylvester at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 07:30:52 BST 2013

Hi list,

This is my first post to the list.  I hope you guys don't mind, but this post is partially a "RMQ vs. ZMQ" thread.

So, I have a distributed Erland application and I want to add a mesh socket network on top of it to handle some heavy duty (potentially) traffic so as not to bog down the internal Erlang messaging.  My first thought for this was to go the route of ZMQ, simply because I've already read the book.  ZMQ was previously an attractive option for me, as it meant no broker and I'm lazy, so the least moving parts the better.  However, having thought more on the subject, I decided I simply want the best option.  I mean, I'm using Erlang, so one extra Erlang node (RMQ broker) doesn't scare the lazy side of me, and at least it's scalable, right?

So, here's my conundrum.  In my mesh, I need to distribute messages from a node on a single port and receive messages on a single port.  Each node will connect to one another, like lego. So, both incoming and outgoing ports will have many connections.  For incoming, I should be able to handle my messages using OTP's handle_info func on the gen_server pattern.  It should also expect all incoming messages to be meant for it specifically; thus I'd like to be able to filter outgoing messages on the publisher side, rather than incoming messages on the subscriber side, as I wish to reduce overall network traffic.

My question is; can RabbitMQ do that for me?  That I can find, ZMQ will allow for everything except for the filtering of messages from the publisher.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Regards,
Lee