[rabbitmq-discuss] Establishing user identity

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Apr 10 13:33:40 BST 2013

On 10/04/13 11:51, Dmitry Andrianov wrote:
> Hi. I'm very new to RabbitMQ but I googled as much as I could before
> mailing here so my apologies in case the issue was discussed a
> million times.

No, I don't think it was.

<snip>

> What I do not like about this approach:
>
> * Most of all I do not like the fact that sending client needs to
> explicitly provide its user-id with each message. I would much prefer
> RabbitMQ has the ability to "attach" authenticated user ID to every
> received message automatically before passing it down the queues. Is
> that possible at all? Can it be done with plugins? Are there any
> examples?

Hmm. The reason we did it like that was so that we could avoid modifying
messages as they come in (something we go to some lengths to do). I'm
not sure a plugin can do this sanely either.

How many other people are interested in not needing to specify the user-id?

> * Second, I do not like the fact we need to create auth backend even
> though it is very simple. But from the other hand we do not want to
> add every user because there can be thousands of them. Is there a
> better way?

You could use the HTTP or LDAP backends - but then you'd need to have
another moving part around.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen