[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbit - Crash?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 26 23:45:48 BST 2012

Eugene,

On 26/09/12 17:13, eugene wrote:
> I think you're right. The node Rabbit is running on is a development one
> with limited disk space.
>
> Knowing that, I put the following in rabbit config:
>
>    {rabbit, [{disk_free_limit, 2097152}
>               ]},
>
> It might have influenced.
> I just did not expect rabbit to crash, rather to raise some alarms.

I suspect the rabbit logs will show that an alarm was raised.

Rabbit's response to such an alarm is to block all publishers, since
messages are generally the main source of memory and disk space growth
in rabbit, by some margin.

However, other activities such as declaring durable exchanges/queues
require disk space too. So does writing the log file (which, if it's on
the same partition as the db dir will eat into the latter's space).
Rabbit makes no attempt to curtail these activities.

Regards,

Matthias.