[rabbitmq-discuss] How to handle distribution of message to either 1 OR many topics

Alex Gadea alex.gadea at apptik.com
Thu Sep 20 03:23:07 BST 2012

I have a message, and need it to be handled by a variable number of queues.
 The queues handle different purposes - email, audit, webhook processing,
s3 storage.  Each message can have any, some or all of those topics as
targets.  For example, I could have three messages:

message 1: audit.webhook
message 2: webhook
message 3: email.audit.webhook.s3

Note that although I demonstrated 4 topics, there could potentially be
100s.  Can this be handled by a topic exchange?  For example, would topic
*.webhook.* miss message 2?   Could I add three topics to a queue
webhook.*, *.webhook.* and *.webhook to handle all potential messages, or
do I have to know the exact position of where webhook would wind up - ie:
*.*.webhook.*.*.* or would *.webhook.* be sufficient to capture both
message 1 and message 3?

Thanks, I'm new to Rabbitmq and just trying to figure out how flexible the
messaging topics can be.

Alex