[rabbitmq-discuss] AWS clustering

Francesco Mazzoli francesco at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 5 09:46:43 BST 2012

Hi Glade,

At Tue, 4 Sep 2012 20:01:38 -0700 (PDT),
Glade wrote:
> For a supposedly "just works" kind of service, that is just not good enough. I
> can't have my ops people rolling out of bed to take action every time there's
> a minor network glitch.

Rabbit clustering is meant to be run on local networks and is not tolerant to
"network glitches".  If you expect those, then don't use it.

> So, I either need to provide a network that never becomes partitioned (does
> such a network exist? Certainly not at AWS!), or I need to drop clustering and
> have a single RabbitMQ server which won't scale, or I need to cobble together
> some kind of automated supervisor which is certain not to handle all cases, or
> I need to use a different messaging tool.

Federation or shovel might fit your needs, see
<http://www.rabbitmq.com/distributed.html> for an overview.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt